Saturday, August 27, 2011

Surreal

I was in our living room, filled with all the people Jason and I love most in this world. We were about to share our BIG announcement. I was pregnant and couldn't be happier. I was filled with joy and excited to share the news, so why was I beginning to feel so sad? We called everyone around and simply spoke the 5 most beautiful words, "we are having a baby!" Tears of happiness filled the room but I suddenly realized that one very important person would never get to hear those words: my father. In my realization I was overcome with emotion and had to leave the room to gather myself. I shed a tear and felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around I saw my dad, standing right in front of me. "Dad!", I said, shocked and in disbelief. How could this be happening? I blinked my eyes, expecting to see someone else. But no, there he was, my father who had passed away two years before. He spoke to me and told me how much he misses me and loves me. We both stood there, hugging and crying. I then was fully aware of what I was able to say next, "Daddy, I'm pregnant. And I'm so sad that you won't be here to see your first grand baby." He told me that he knew and that I was wrong, he will be there. He'll be watching the first ultrasound, and feeling the first kick. He said he'll watch the baby enter the world, and later, experience his or her first word and first steps. He reminded me that he is always with me and is so proud of me. And just like that, as quickly as he came, he was gone. I felt an overwhelming sadness enter my body, but also, an overwhelming sense of comfort. I was so thankful that I could tell him my news. I truly began to feel at peace.



And then I woke up. I don't know why I had that dream, I'm not even pregnant, but it was truly one of the most vivid, beautiful dreams I have ever experienced. I could not help but feel as if that dream was delivered to me for a purpose. I am happy that I was able to see my dad again, even if it was only in a dream. Dreams are funny like that, they are not real life, yet they have a way of bringing you exactly what you need at that very moment.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry, and smile.

    I hope that my dad is able to do these things, too. Even if from afar.

    Love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I read the first few sentences and got really excited. :) Such a good story, thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete